SURF REPORT  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  FORUM  •  E-MAIL US
DELSURF.COM FORUM
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ocean is a dangerous place

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emile
Local

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: ocean is a dangerous place Reply with quote

Surfed 34th to 32nd this morning. Kinda bumpy, kinda junky, kinda mixed up, kinda close to the shore and dumpy, more north in it than I expected, but fun, and hey, when you drive 175 miles at 3 in the morning to get to the beach...youre going surfing. And I got a few fun ones. Nothing spectacular, but did a few turns, and it beats the crap out of a day in the office. In the water at 6, out at 9, home for lunch.
Anyway, about 8am, I was on the inside after taking a wave and I noticed two guys dragging a surfer's body out of the water. SO I immediately went in to help. By the time I got there, one of the guys was doing CPR and there was a lot of foamy water coming out of the surfer. But there were no signs of life, no coughing, no movement, nothing. Totally nonresponsive. Someone had already called 911, and the guy doing CPR was an EMT, so there was nothing for me to do but watch and shout at the surfer to come on back and hang in there. I had been surfing right next to him a half hour earlier. Saw him get a few waves. He was not the most experienced guy on a board, but it wasnt his first time on one either. His buddy finally came out of the water and realized what was happening to his friend, then a lifeguard ran over, then the crowd grew. We were there for maybe 10 mins before the ambulance got there, they stabilized the surfer's back and intubated him and got him out of there. The whole time he was there, he didnt look good, but the EMT said he had a pulse, so hopefully he made it. Gnarliest thing I've ever seen - watching the attempted resuscitation of a drowning victim. Guy's name was Chris, he was a skinny dude, probably in his mid-to-late-forties. Post up if you hear whether he made it - it didnt look good from where I was.
So that really puts things in perspective...the ocean is a dangerous place. Even on the smallest days, sh*t happens, and you can get hurt. Bad.
Now go hug your kids or wife or husband or parents or yourself.
Beef
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling...My dad and myself worked on a guy in st augustine florida over 10 years ago that had some sort of heart attack out in the water...and the guy ended up dying...

I will say a prayer.
Bwagon
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same area... and heard about it. Did not hear the outcome. Sad. It was very very crowded in that area. The tide was full so I doubt it was a neck injury. Hope he made it. Waves were pretty fun... but tons and tons of beginner surfers.
Bent. out of shape
Local Ripper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two friends were down there surfing and they are life guards at south bethany and they said that the guy didnt make it.
MC peepants
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh man i am sorry to hear that, i really do hope that he made it. Yes the ocean is very dangerous and must always be treated with respect whether its small or a big swell.
misterblue
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a couple of blocks north and heard about it pretty quickly. I spoke to a LG today and he confirmed that it was a fatality. RIP
Mitchell
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats sad news. I really think about what his family must be going through. Friday was breaking sketchy for some reason...A bunch of us were surfing up in the 50th st area which isnt normally a shallow bar but it sure was Friday. Definately one of those mornings where I pulled back on a whole bunch of waves that looked evil.

BTW, is this getting any coverage at all in the local news?
wavridr
Local

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: any updates? Reply with quote

this is a horrible story, my father sometimes surfs alone and this hits close to home...does anybody have any confirmed updates? did he make it?
bighuka
Local Ripper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Jay Napolitano
Date of Passing: July 25, 2009

Christopher Jay Napolitano, 48, of Riva, died July 25 from complications after a surfing accident in Maryland.

He was born July 30, 1960, in Biloxi, Miss., to Louise and Richard Napolitano. He spent most of his childhood in Bowie. He was a 1978 graduate of Bowie High School and earned a Bachelor's degree in Economics from University of Maryland.

Creative and ambitious, Chris was the owner and CEO of the award-winning Joint Venture Marketing firm in Lanham. He was a successful local business man, entrepreneur, and an active member and volunteer at New Covenant Church in Arnold.

He was a loving husband and father, a devout Christian, an accomplished professional and a competitive athlete.

He is survived by his wife, Jacqueline; his children, Zachary and Olivia; his parents, Louise and Richard of Englewood, Fla.; his twin brother, Dan; his older brothers, Rick and Steve; his sister, Alicia Lotz; seven nieces, six nephews and many friends and extended family members.

The family will receive friends and host a visitation from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 29 at New Covenant Church, 365 Jones Station Road in Arnold. A funeral service will be offered at the church at 11 a.m. Thursday, July 30. Interment will follow in Lakemont Memorial Gardens in Davidsonville.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to an education fund established for Chris and Jacque's children called the Napolitano Education Trust c/o BB&T Bank at 2405 Brandermill Blvd., Gambrills, MD 21054.

Online condolences may be made at www.barrancofuneralhome.com
s2kreative
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone planned any sort of paddle out for him?
chuck white
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a pic online from the funeral home link bighuka posted.

I don't recognize him, but condolences & prayers to his family & friends.

No.6 Bodyboards
misterblue
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing what most people said and what's in the article, I was under the assumption it was spine/neck or somekind of freak accident.
This morning I spoke to one of his friends and it turns out he died from a brain aneurysm not from a surfing accident.
It could've happened anywhere, just so happened while he was surfing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    delsurf.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: