SURF REPORT  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  FORUM  •  E-MAIL US
DELSURF.COM FORUM
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Africa Trip Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apex18
Local Ripper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: South Africa Trip Report Reply with quote

Took a trip with my wife to South Africa this month. It wasn't a full on Surf Trip, but I got my fill of waves. We started in Capetown in did the "garden route" over the next 15 or so days, ending in Port Elizabeth for the flight home.

Instead of staying in Capetown, we stayed in Muizenberg, which is a coastal town with a soft LB wave out front. Total surfer town. The first day we arrived, there were super clean waist-tummy high LB waves. SUPER clean all day, but crowded. Across the peninsula was Noordhoek beach, which is the atlantic side. More swell here, but also some winds. Cool to surf two oceans in 1 day. We spent 4 days in the area checking out the city, cape of good hope, table mountain, and the wineries.

Next Stop was Mossel Bay. It was a 4 hr drive, but the drive is beautiful. Again, a chill town with a point break and a few beach breaks. nothing killer here, but I'm sure on the right day it fires.

3rd Town was Victoria Bay/Wilderness. Nice point in Vic Bay. Swell was there, but the winds were a problem the 2 days I was there. Still a fun spot to surf.

4th spot was J-Bay for 5 days. This is what I was waiting for, and despite being the offseason, we were there during a good swell and improving/perfect winds. It was biggest on the first 2 days, and the winds were good, but the weather was cold and rainy. The remaining days had better weather and winds, but the swell started to fade. Most of what you heard about Jbay is true. Cold Water, Feels Sharkey, Heavy, and Fast. I surfed Supertubes the whole time, but there are quite a few other breaks in the area. The pros make this place look so simple - getting in and out of the water is super sketchy. It is all rock with deep channels that you need to follow...way easier said than done. The rocks are also covered in mussles, which are super sharp and tore up my hands, feet, and wetsuit. When exiting, i'd end up laying on the rock shelf getting smashed by whitewater and cutting everything up until i found the channel. If the water was tropical, my body would be all cut up. I have 3 dings and lost a fin as a result of the shallow rocks.
Luckily, there was barely any crowd...seriously unbelievable. over the 5 mornings, the heaviest crowd was about 8 heads in the wates, but most of the time it was less than 5/6. Being out alone was a bit creepy.

The pics are from the last few days b/c of the weather on the bigger days, but you get the idea. I wish my wife was standing further down the beach and I think the pics would have a better angle and color. She also didn't know about the rapid fire sport mode on the camera, but shes into taking pics, so shes learning.

Goofy Footer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post & enjoyed the close up pics, almost felt the spray ......

Would like to see more Pics of your trip
Eze
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sick. Looks epic. I'd give my left one to go to a place like that.
oipaul
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet trip and pics!
Don't you ever work? Very Happy
apex18
Local Ripper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oipaul wrote:
Sweet trip and pics!
Don't you ever work? Very Happy

Sometimes. Unfortunately nothing planned for 2018 yet.

I'll try to get some other pics up soon - such an amazing country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    delsurf.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: